Introductions - Start here!

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Grashopr

#31 Post by Grashopr » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:47 am

Hello, I'm Phil. I actually stumbled into a brewery supply store just off Mass. street in Lawrence in 1995 while trying to find some 'legal' way for an underage beer lover to supply himself. I haven't brewed any at all since probably 1996, and have been trying to find local suppliers of equipment and knowledge to get back into it. I've never done all-grain, but am looking forward to trying it.

sunshine

#32 Post by sunshine » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:42 pm

Amy here. I live with Shane, I have no choice but to be interested in beer. Enough said. Amen. :sunny:

Ace
Craft Brewer

#33 Post by Ace » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:33 am

I'm Derrick Samuel, just now getting around to introducing myself. I've been a guild member for 3 maybe 4 years. My favorite beers are porters and stouts, or, is it stouts and porters? I've been in Lawrence long enough to consider myself a townie, been a regular at Free State since it opened, you can usually find me there on Monday evenings. I just brewed my "first" (I've assisted others) all-grain batch, a clone of Rogue's chocolate stout. Thanks Joe!

klickcue
Brewmaster

#34 Post by klickcue » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:42 pm

Hi All,

My name is Chris Klindt. Some of you may know me as the guy that built pool cues - no more.

I was poking around the Internet and discovered the Guild. Saw Bill was here so decided to join to support the Guild.

Hope to meet some of you but don't have much free time.

Haven't thrown out a bad batch yet but can not keep up with the brewing :)

Have an Irish Ale and Jamil's Evil Twin about ready to bottle.

Have my HERMS about half completed. Have my refrig is under temp control and getting ready to put together an Oktoberfest even though it is not March. Need to get a Christmas brew going.
Have Fun!

Chris

Bill
Brewmaster

#35 Post by Bill » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:19 pm

Damn glad to see you here Chris! I'm sure we can get you out to a function sooner or later. We have events to accommodate anyone's schedule.

Welcome to the guild!
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Jdl973
Brewmaster

Re: Introductions - Start here!

#36 Post by Jdl973 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:14 pm

My name is Jason Latham. I live in Lenexa and am a newbie. Just started brewing about 4 weeks ago, trying to work the bugs out, build/gather equipment and brew some awesome beer. I just kegged my first beer (German Wheat) last night. I am an all grain kind of guy and feel brewing should be a social event with some good friends and great cold beer. Have had a blat so far. I look forward to reading/learning from the group.

Thanks

Jason
BEFORE THERE WAS MATHEMATICS, RELIGION, PHILOSOPHY OR CULTURE...THERE WAS BEER.

In Primary:............. None (how sad is that?)
In Secondary:..........None...see above
On Tap: ..........Barley Wine from 2006, BGSA from 2006...

Melonmon
Craft Brewer

#37 Post by Melonmon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Welcome, Jason! Hope you can make it to one of our meetings.

http://lawrencebrewers.org/main/

Blktre
BrewLegend

#38 Post by Blktre » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Welcome aboard Jason!
Homebrewing is very addicting just so you know. Pretty soon it will consume half your house and most your time. If your not actually brewing, you thinking about brewing.
Your in trouble now man!! :alien:

Hope to cya around,
Andy
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

jboehle
Little Beer

#39 Post by jboehle » Tue May 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi, my name is Jason Boehle. Wife got me a Cooper's brewing kit for my birthday, and I started primary fermentation on it yesterday (Cooper's Australian Lager extract kit). The airlock is bubbling like crazy today. :) Trying to decide if I should skip bottling and pick up some kegging equipment instead.

I always try something different when I buy beer, wanted to try brewing my own. I'm an iPhone app programmer by day, you may have seen an article in the LJWorld about my business partner & I a few months ago.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hey!

Blktre
BrewLegend

#40 Post by Blktre » Tue May 19, 2009 4:14 pm

Howdy Jason, welcome aboard!!
Kegging is so much nicer. Less work, but more expensive to get into. There is a small learning curve on carbing, but once you get the minor details, your on a roll. But, i think every brewer should try bottling at least once!
Cheers,
Andy
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

#41 Post by jeffvineyard » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi my name is jeff vineyard. Despite the last name I generally stick to beer. I got into brewing beer a year ago when I was fixing an ac and saw a&v across the street. I went in and talked to doug and the rest is history
I brew atleast once a month and I love it! I sold my other hobbies to make room for the brewery. I just happened upon this site the other day and hope to make some good brew with all of you. Cheers.
If you brew it they will come

Melonmon
Craft Brewer

#42 Post by Melonmon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:15 am

Welcome, Jeff! What other hobby equipment did you sacrifice for beer? Hope to see you at a meeting soon.

Ellen

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

#43 Post by jeffvineyard » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:36 am

I had to get rid of my canoe and a rigid planer. I'm trying to get rid of the rest of my cabinet tools to fund a bichman setup.
When and where are meetings?
If you brew it they will come

SevenFields

#44 Post by SevenFields » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:48 am

Hi, My name is Travis and I am 31yrs old and I live in Topeka. My favorite styles of beer are Stouts & Quads. I have been thinking about brewing for a long time now. Three years ago, I got married and had a child so time just slipped away. I finally decided to stop putting it off and I am going to dive into it head 1st. I have read several books and will be purchasing my equipment this Friday. I have signed up on Homebrewtalk.com(BeerCigars=screen name) and thought it would be best to find some local people to learn from. I hope to explore these boards and maybe make a meeting of yours to learn all I can about homebrewing and meet some great people who share my love of Beer!!!

Melonmon
Craft Brewer

#45 Post by Melonmon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:06 pm

Meetings are the second Thursday of the month.

Thursday, June 11th, 7 P.M.
Unitarian Fellowship of Lawrence

1263 N. 1100 Road

http://lawrencebrewers.org/main/