Introductions - Start here!

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

SevenFields

Re: Introductions - Start here!

#46 Post by SevenFields » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:39 pm

I plan on coming next week, if you will have such a noob who hasnt even brewd yet and who has alot to learn?
Anything I need to bring or know?

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#47 Post by Greenblood » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:46 pm

Welcome Steven. Bring some home or commercial brew. Food is also always welcomed. Other than that, just show up, and introduce yourself!
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

SevenFields

#48 Post by SevenFields » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:54 pm

How many people are usually at the meetings?
How much beer/food should I bring?

Blktre
BrewLegend

#49 Post by Blktre » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:45 pm

SevenFields wrote:How many people are usually at the meetings?
How much beer/food should I bring?
I think a 6er of a decent craft beer will be just fine. If you feel like offering a side, just pick something and bring a serving plate. Most meetings average 30-50 people plus.
Cheers,
Andy

Oh and welcome!!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Bierdog
Little Beer

#50 Post by Bierdog » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi! My name is Doug Hewitt. I have been brewing for about 3 years. Primarily extract brewer and some partial mash brews. Once I become consistent with brewing techniques, desire to . I have had good review on my Kolsch, but others are so so. I mean we drink them and they are fine but not great.

Look forward to learning a lot from the meetings.

kingdona
Homebrewer

#51 Post by kingdona » Tue May 18, 2010 9:57 am

Hi All - My name is Donald King and I just attended my first meeting this month. What a great group of people with a lot of enthusiasm for home brewing and beer in general.

I started brewing at 13 when I took a jar of grape juice and some bread yeast from my mom's cupboard and mixed it together and put it in my dad's thermos for a week under my bed. This particular project was in the fail category but I have been obsessed with the idea of brewing for a long time. I finally started about 6-7 months ago doing first a kit and quickly moving to extract brewing. I have now done two all grain batches (Brown Ale and IPA) and I am hooked. My guides have been books by Charlie Papazian and John Palmer.

I am interested in being part of the LBG for a couple of reasons. One is the enthusiasm the group has for brewing. My friends and family are interested in drinking my beer but not so much in all of the details of the process and things that I find to be fascinating about the science behind it all. Another reason is that I am not certain if my friends and family are always honest with me about whether or not my beer is any good. I think it's not bad but would love to get feedback from folks with more experience that can tell me things I need to change to make better beer.

Anyway, I want to thank you all for making me feel so welcome at my first meeting. I look forward to seeing you all again at the next meeting and bringing some samples this time (I promise it will not be grape juice and bread yeast).

Cheers!

Don

Bill
Brewmaster

#52 Post by Bill » Wed May 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Welcome to the group Don! Hope to see you at future meetings.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

jbame
Homebrewer

#53 Post by jbame » Wed May 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Welcom DON glad you had a good time it is only geting started look forword to seeing you again Jack!!

Tom Turnbull
Homebrewer

Introducitons-start here

#54 Post by Tom Turnbull » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Hello Everyone,
My name is Tom Turnbull. I live way out here north of Perry in Jeff county. I just joined LBG- well I just mailed my dues to Clint on Monday but I was present for the June meeting--what a great time! My friend John had brewed some beer back in December of '09, I think, and I got the tiniest little taste and thought........hmmm....maybe I could do that........and maybe save some money too. Sooo...another buddy (Dave) and I brewed our first batch in January '10....we liked it.....the beer, the brewing and all! So far we have recouped nearly 1/3 of our relatively small equipment costs in liquor store savings. John said we should come see/join the Lawrence Brewers Guild-- we did/we did.
Currently we are waiting on our first major all-grain brew--half is here at my house and half at Daves--in secondaries. We have this problem of drinking
all our product before it has time to get much character. Three weeks old and gone! So...we have 23 gal aging and brew 5 gal extracts to drink while we try to wait......for time to pass........and pass. Anyway, I really enjoyed my first guild meeting and look forward to many more. Everyone I have met associated with the guild has been friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, open and fun. Its a privilege to be associated with such a group.

Tom
Tom Turnbull

jbame
Homebrewer

Re: Introducitons-start here

#55 Post by jbame » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:47 pm

glad you came Tom . that sounds like my Bio larger batches helps a bunch look forward to talking with you Jack!!!!!

neilhull

#56 Post by neilhull » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:16 am

New to brewing as I have just 4 all grains under my belt in the last month.

Have lived in Lawrence the past 11 years, and was born and raised here in Kansas.

Currently have a Simcoe IPA 1 week into bottle conditioning.
Trappist Brown Ale second week of fermentation.
Trappist Rochefort 8 in first week of fermentation

Brewing a Belgian Cru today.

I like the Belgian beers for the most part.

All my brewing friends have urged me to join the guild so here I am.

Will try to make the tastings and such as time allows.

My brew equipment is all custom made stainless conicals, Tuns, and brew pots with a few carboys thrown in for the little one to see the action.

Building out my brew cave with walk in lager room and keg cooling area.

I look forward to participating and learning as much as I can.

I have a blog of my progress. http://letshomebrew.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... -test.html

I will try to make the next meeting in November and pay my dues.

Semper Fi
Last edited by neilhull on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

klickcue
Brewmaster

#57 Post by klickcue » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:27 am

Welcome! You will enjoy this place and the people.

For just 4 all-grain batches, you appear to have jumped in with both feet 8)

Are you going to bug any of your Belgians?
Have Fun!

Chris

sam
Homebrewer

#58 Post by sam » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 am

neilhull wrote:New to brewing as I have just 4 all grains under my belt in the last month.

Have lived in Lawrence the past 11 years, and was born and raised here in Kansas.

Currently have a Simcoe IPA 1 week into bottle conditioning.
Trappist Brown Ale second week of fermentation.
Trappist Rochefort 8 in first week of fermentation

Brewing a Belgian Cru today.

I like the Belgian beers for the most part.

All my brewing friends have urged me to join the guild so here I am.

Will try to make the tastings and such as time allows.

My brew equipment is all custom made stainless conicals, Tuns, and brew pots with a few carboys thrown in for the little one to see the action.

Building out my brew cave with walk in lager room and keg cooling area.

I look forward to participating and learning as much as I can.

I have a blog of my progress. http://letshomebrew.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... -test.html

I will try to make the next meeting in November and pay my dues.

Semper Fi
Welcome aboard. Nothing like jumping in with both feet.

Semper Fi??? Fellow Jarhead???

That would explain the "going all in".
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

neilhull

#59 Post by neilhull » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:20 pm

"Semper Fi??? Fellow Jarhead???"

Jarine indeed!

Currently working for Department of Defense as a govt. employee at Ft. Leavenworth.

IT by day and Brewer by night! I have been waiting to brew for a long time, and with all the market research I put in to it investigating equipment, and youtube How To videos, I felt like I had already learned a lot of what not to do.

I am a little frustrated at Mash conversion magic. I mash at the proper temps, and sparge correctly, but I have had a couple of brews that were supposed to go to 1.089, and only reached 1.062. This weekend my Belgian Cru only hit 1.042 OG and I was a little disappointed. Thinking maybe I should up the grain bill a bit to compensate for lower efficiency sometimes.

I'm sure these things will come with time and hands on. Planning the 5th All Grain batch this coming weekend. Not sure what I will brew, but brew I will. It will be a Belgian.

I just bottled my Belgian Ale, and it is an amazing aromatic brew! I can't wait until it is bottle conditioned. It taste exactly like what I have wanted to make and I am sure the recipe will become one of my stable productions.

Thanks for the encouragement, and I look forward to making it to the Nov. Meeting. If I read right it is Belgian beer tasting. I will bring some of whatever I have that is ready for sampling.

Semper Fi

finley

#60 Post by finley » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Frank Finley. I came out to the meeting last week, but got called away shortly after the meeting was over. I lived in Lawrence for a while, but just recently moved to Topeka, since I work there and got tired of the daily commute. I think the commute might have been worth it... :D

I've started brewing back in July or so, and every weekend I've been home I've tried to brew something. I only did two extract batches, and switched to all grain as soon as I could get the cooler mash-tun built. Didn't seem nearly as interesting. I've been really experimenting mostly figuring out what works, what doesn't, and finding new and interesting ways to screw up a recipe.

I also hate to admit it, but I'm a pin lock user as well... :oops:

But I've got a pretty cool Kegerator/Keezer that should be finished in a couple days.