Introductions - Start here!

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

toolman
Homebrewer

Re: Introductions - Start here!

#106 Post by toolman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:26 pm

welcome william!

Stewart194
Little Beer

#107 Post by Stewart194 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Hello everyone! Matt Stewart here. I live in Lawrence and I've been brewing for about a year and a half. A friend of mine got me into it and I'm absolutely hooked. Definitely a brewer for life. The only prior experience with brewing I had was a disastrous attempt at a Mr Beer kit back in college about 12 years ago. My Dad bought it for me for Christmas when I was 19 or so...but it set in my closet for a few years before my roommates and I decided to try it out. It did not turn out very well! Incredibly sweet and overcarbed to the point that 3/4 of every beer ended up on the floor after opening. Our sanitation practices were non existent, so I'm sure they were infected also.

Since my friend Andy got me into "real" brewing though, I've been brewing non stop. I did 6 Extract batches and 1 Partial Mash, then jumped into All Grain. Since then, I've probably brewed around 11 All Grain batches. Just started kegging recently and WOW is that great.

There is still plenty to learn, but my beers are slowly getting better each time. I plan on attending my first LBG meeting in March and am looking forward to meeting everyone.

toolman
Homebrewer

#108 Post by toolman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:04 pm

welcome matt !

mullesaurus

#109 Post by mullesaurus » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Hello

My name is Scott. I came to the June meeting. I brewed for a few years then took a few years off after my daughter was born. I'm back at it again. Made the switch to all grain and it feels great to brew again.

I'm looking forward to meeting other brewers and enjoying guild events and resources since this town lacks a real brew store.

See you at the next meeting.

fatman1959

#110 Post by fatman1959 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:25 pm

Hello All!

My name is Monty Fritts and I joined the LBG right after I met Chuck in his green hat at the Free State/AHA Brewing Party. So blame Chuck for getting me to join! :drunken:

I have been on the outside looking in for many years and once we went to that party, that was it,, I was hooked. Been brewing ever since.

I am to the point now where I am ready to do kegging, and with that comes a few questions.

1. If anyone has a keg setup they wish to sell,,, contact me to work out a possible sale.
2. I understand the concept of forced carbonation in a keg, but if I get a single keg setup, and start buying kegs as needed,, can I disconnect the first keg and expect it to hold the pressure from one use to the next use??

I would also like to get access to the members only section so I can sign up for the brewery crawl on April 11th.

Thanks in advance for any help on these issues!

===============
Monty Fritts
Former Human
===============

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#111 Post by Rugger1978 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:35 pm

Hello and Welcome!
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing
On Tap: Irish Red Ale, Vienna Lager, American Wheat, Belgian Triple, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Hard Cider
Primary: Oktoberfest-Marzen
Kegged/Ageing: Russian Imperial Stout, Oktoberfest-Marzen
Next Brew: Vienna Lager or an IPA

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer

#112 Post by ryanmetcalf » Thu May 14, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi All!
I'm Ryan Metcalf, and tonight was my first LBG meeting. Years ago, I received one of the infamous "Mr. Beer" brewing kits as a birthday gift, and sadly it went unused, but was the starting point for putting home brewing into my head. Later went on to really discovering craft brews by drinking my way through several of Old Chicago's World Beer Tours, working in bars, and even a liquor store (Brown Bag in Olathe). Finally got aquainted with someone home brewing in the last few months, and brewed a couple batches with them (Bourbon Porter and an Irish Red), which led to me quickly buying up all the equipment I needed to do my own all-grain brewing. Most recently I've brewed a Pale Ale kit I got from Northern Brewing, which is finishing up primary now, and next up on my radar is an IPA grain kit.

jintfen

#113 Post by jintfen » Fri May 15, 2015 11:54 am

Hello everyone!

My name is John Intfen and I have been living in Lawrence the past 8 years. I started off as a student then graduated, found a job, and now I am back at KU working on my Master's Degree in Geophysics. I started brewing a year ago when a buddy of mine need some help one weekend because he normal brew buddy was out of town. We brewed a Bourbon Barrel Porter (kit), and it was delicious. Ever since I have been fascinated with the process and really enjoy refining my own technique and knowledge of brewing and beer.

(off topic question - but can someone PM about how to get access to the Members section. I am a member, but can't PM anyone just yet).

Metalhead

#114 Post by Metalhead » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:31 pm

Hello all!

My name is Steven Fritts. I have been brewing on my own since 2001, prior to that I had some friends in Kansas City that got me interested in the joys of brewing. I live in Lawrence and work in K.C. I learned about LBG from Bacchus and Barley Corn. I prefer to keep a variety of styles on hand and there are only a handful of beers I brew more than one time. However, I am getting interested in possibly entering some competitions with a couple of my recipes and felt the best way to prepare was by joining LBG and getting a wider exposure to other techniques and styles in and around home brewing. As of this writing I have been to 2 meetings and have had a great time and learned much already.
Next Brew: Maybe a Marzen/Oktoberfest
Primary:
Secondary/Bright tank:
On Tap: American Brown Ale, Dunkel

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#115 Post by Rugger1978 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:19 pm

Hello Ryan, John and Steven! And welcome to this great group!
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing
On Tap: Irish Red Ale, Vienna Lager, American Wheat, Belgian Triple, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Hard Cider
Primary: Oktoberfest-Marzen
Kegged/Ageing: Russian Imperial Stout, Oktoberfest-Marzen
Next Brew: Vienna Lager or an IPA

BluestemBrew

#116 Post by BluestemBrew » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:51 am

Hello all!

My name is Jordan, and I am a Lawrence townie on my return trip after a few years (and school) in Minnesota. I greatly love traveling and the outdoors and try to explore the native areas around as much as I can! I've been brewing for a little over a year at this point, and really enjoy being creative and exploring history and culture with each brew. I've been known to dabble into ciders as well.... I'm greatly looking forward to getting myself plugged in to this wonderful community you all have created, learning from you, and getting to meet you at upcoming meetings and events.

Jdl973
Brewmaster

#117 Post by Jdl973 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:59 pm

Hi everyone!

It has been a long time and I have missed the Guild so much!

I am still in Kansas City and will be trying to attend the meetings over the next couple months. Look forward to seeing everybody and hope all is well.

A long-lost brewer,
Jason
BEFORE THERE WAS MATHEMATICS, RELIGION, PHILOSOPHY OR CULTURE...THERE WAS BEER.

In Primary:............. None (how sad is that?)
In Secondary:..........None...see above
On Tap: ..........Barley Wine from 2006, BGSA from 2006...

Blktre
BrewLegend

#118 Post by Blktre » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:56 pm

Jason!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Ace
Craft Brewer

#119 Post by Ace » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:56 pm

NI!!

JPete

#120 Post by JPete » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Hi all,

I've just started brewing with a friend, and am trying to gather up all the equipment to try on my own. Hope to meet some of you someday.