Introductions - Start here!

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Tom Turnbull
Homebrewer

Re: Introductions - Start here!

#61 Post by Tom Turnbull » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Welcome Frank. Pin locks are the bomb! Hurray for you.
They are also much cheaper.

TomT
Tom Turnbull

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#62 Post by Jensen » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:00 pm

finley wrote:Hello Everyone,

I also hate to admit it, but I'm a pin lock user as well... :oops:

Its okay, you can ride the short bus with Godwin and Wheeler. Just don't forget your football helmet. :alien:

Wanna play trucks? :albino:
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

baddog28

#63 Post by baddog28 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Hello my name is Peggy not really my name is Dale. I used to live in Lawrence but because of my job on ft riley i had to move. But i still fly Jayhawk colors haha. I am purchasing my first brew equipment tomorrow and looking forward to my first batch.

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#64 Post by cyburai » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:18 pm

baddog28 wrote:Hello my name is Peggy not really my name is Dale. I used to live in Lawrence but because of my job on ft riley i had to move. But i still fly Jayhawk colors haha. I am purchasing my first brew equipment tomorrow and looking forward to my first batch.
Welcome Peggy! (heh) Hanging out with Big Red One?

Are there any brewshops out that way? Or are you ordering online?

(I grew up in Chapman, about 30 minutes from base. My mom used to work for Irwin AH, so I almost burnt my car to the ground in the parking lot. Among other things.)
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

kevputo
Homebrewer

#65 Post by kevputo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi, my name is Kevin, and I've been brewing for about 3 years. I've been slowly upgrading my equipment and have now been doing all grain for the last 3 batches:

Java Stout
Steam/Cali Common
Nut Brown Ale

So I see it's customary to bring a 6'er along to my first meeting. I couldn't find what is on the docket for tasting this month, any suggestions for which of the 3 batches above I should bring for sampling? All of the above? :)

Looking forward to meeting some fellow beer nuts.

Kevin

Melonmon
Craft Brewer

#66 Post by Melonmon » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:34 pm

Welcome, Kevin! Looking forward to meeting you. I vote for the steam and/or Java Stout...

Ellen

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#67 Post by Joe Yoder » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:36 pm

Hey Kevin. Whoever told you to bring a sixer to your first meeting was vastly under reporting. Must have been back in the day when we only had 6 members. You should bring a bottle of homebrew for each member present. And there will be 50 to 60 there!! Hope you are prepared. If you don't have enough homebrew, feel free to purchase good commercial beers. I am sure that a 1/2 barrel keg will be fine!
Whatever you have with the most hops gets my vote!
see you tonight.
Joe Yoder

kevputo
Homebrewer

#68 Post by kevputo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Joe Yoder wrote:Hey Kevin. Whoever told you to bring a sixer to your first meeting was vastly under reporting. Must have been back in the day when we only had 6 members. You should bring a bottle of homebrew for each member present. And there will be 50 to 60 there!! Hope you are prepared. If you don't have enough homebrew, feel free to purchase good commercial beers. I am sure that a 1/2 barrel keg will be fine!
see you tonight.
Joe Yoder
I was actually thinking 6 might be a bit of a small sample, and didn't know how many people to expect. But it is good to know just who the intended target was for the comment at the start of February's meeting minutes :P

I'll shoot for somewhere between a 6-pack and a 1/2 barrel.
Kevin Hansen

Blktre
BrewLegend

#69 Post by Blktre » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:44 pm

kevputo wrote:
Joe Yoder wrote:Hey Kevin. Whoever told you to bring a sixer to your first meeting was vastly under reporting. Must have been back in the day when we only had 6 members. You should bring a bottle of homebrew for each member present. And there will be 50 to 60 there!! Hope you are prepared. If you don't have enough homebrew, feel free to purchase good commercial beers. I am sure that a 1/2 barrel keg will be fine!
see you tonight.
Joe Yoder
I was actually thinking 6 might be a bit of a small sample, and didn't know how many people to expect. But it is good to know just who the intended target was for the comment at the start of February's meeting minutes :P

I'll shoot for somewhere between a 6-pack and a 1/2 barrel.
I can tell already you are gonna fit in well!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

traviscline

#70 Post by traviscline » Tue May 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi all, new brewer here.

Lawrencian and long-time beer lover but just getting into brewing! got a kit, Palmer's How to Brew and started my first batch last week!

Starting out easy from LME and a kit from Midwest (Autumn Amber Ale).

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#71 Post by Rugger1978 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:07 am

I've already been posting but I thought maybe I should introduce myself, lol.

My name is Jared and I've been home brewing since I got laid off last July. I took a job at KU in Lawrence and was informed of this club from a guy I work with who also home brews. My very first beer made was a Pale Ale extract following the instructions from John Palmer's website. Since then I have upgraded to an all grain setup and have done two 10 gallon batches with it (Oktoberfest-Marzen and Hefe-wezien). I still do a lot of extract + specialty grains brewing though. :)

I was hoping to make it to this months meeting, but I just noticed it was last week!
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing
On Tap: Irish Red Ale, Vienna Lager, American Wheat, Belgian Triple, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Hard Cider
Primary: Oktoberfest-Marzen
Kegged/Ageing: Russian Imperial Stout, Oktoberfest-Marzen
Next Brew: Vienna Lager or an IPA

jl72189
Homebrewer

#72 Post by jl72189 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:40 am

Hello All,

My Name is Jim Laster and i am a new brewer "Started in JAN" however i have wanted to start for years now. I live in Lawrence but i grew up in Denver. Living in Denver i have become beer snob by default with all of the great breweries in a 70 mile range of my house. The Avery brewery has really brought me love strong beers. The Groupon to Midwest is what started this hobby for me. Buddies of mine and me have brewed 5 beers in total and we both have the brewing bug in us now. A few hundred dollars kegorater and 4 books later I have managed to sell my wife on a great new hobby. Now time to make good beers that I can be proud of and want to drink.
I look forward to meet you all.

Jim Laster
Last edited by jl72189 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melonmon
Craft Brewer

#73 Post by Melonmon » Tue May 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Welcome Travis, Jared and Jim! Can't wait to sample your beers.

Ellen

Matt
Uberbrewer

#74 Post by Matt » Wed May 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Welcome! Looking forward to sampling you beers. Joining this club is the best investment you've ever made. :)

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

vineyardbmw

#75 Post by vineyardbmw » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:50 pm

hey all! i'm back. Doc says I can drink beer again! So, i'm currently rebuilding my brewery from the ground up. I wish i could still come to meetings but lawrence is a heck of a drive from Golden. If anyone is coming up for GABF, look me up i'll buy.