Brewing Demo for Lawrence Creates Makerspace

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer

Brewing Demo for Lawrence Creates Makerspace

#1 Post by ryanmetcalf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:27 am

When I joined the MakerSpace months ago, was talking about LBG, and they asked if there was interest in doing a demo day some time. I would be very interested in coordinating/setting up such an event out at Lawrence Creates. I can liason with Eric Kirkendall (kirkendall1@gmail.com)

I know we did the Back Porch Event at Ernst, what kind of restrictions/rules did we discover? They serve beer on their Final Fridays at the MakerSpace, but I am currently unaware of any specific licensure they hold (certainly nothing posted/on display). Assume its pretty much just "don't pitch yeast on site" type of thing?

Is another demo/reach out day of interest to the Guild? Else, I have no problem doing an non-LBG branded 'brew day' out there at the MakerSpace just as myself, just would like more information/learning before proceeding either way.

https://www.facebook.com/lawrencecreates/
https://twitter.com/lawrencecreates
http://www.lawrencecreates.com/

jwkeffer
Homebrewer

Re: Brewing Demo for Lawrence Creates Makerspace

#2 Post by jwkeffer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:24 am

I've got a whole bunch of information on what we did at Ernst that I can share. And I believe there is probably some interest.

I've talked with James about doing another one at the Home Brew Pro Shoppe in Olathe, but I have to get a little further along on my remodeling at home before I can take that on. (Depending how it goes this weekend, I may not even be able to make it to Brewfest this year -- having a working shower inside the house before October trumps Brewfest! :shock: )

Steve at Ernst actually did the legwork with the city when we were there, so I don't have all the details. We were allowed to serve samples, but it had to be done on Ernst property. We were brewing in the alley (Steve got the city to allow us to block it off), but we couldn't serve samples there.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any problem with pitching yeast at the event. We did it anyway, at Ernst.

Something else you might be interested in, is the AHA "Learn to Homebrew" event. It's usually the first weekend in November. If you want to coordinate with them, they have some promotional materials you can use, and they'll post information about your event on their calendar of events.

The three big points I learned from the Ernst effort:
1.) Make sure you're clear on your goals
If you're looking to just brew some beer and have some fun, that's what you should do. But if you have some other objectives, like making contacts, recruiting members, or something else, then make sure you have your act together to make that happen.
2.) Have enough folks there to chat and socialize with people. There's going to be a lot of time when you're just standing around watching wort boil and that's your opportunity to talk to people and accomplish any of your other objectives.
3.) Describe the process. The one thing I wish we would have thought of at Ernst would have been a whiteboard or something with a timeline on it that had the brewing process on it. That way you would have a visual aid to talk about. As someone wanders in and asks what is going on, you can show the process and say "we are at this step in the process".

Anywho...

Yeah, I'm interested in that kind of thing. ...But only after I've had a shower...
-----------------------
Jon Keffer
jonathan.keffer@gmail.com
Buckaroo Brewery
A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person. -- Dave Berry

J & T Brews
Homebrewer

#3 Post by J & T Brews » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:44 am

Ryan, contact James at Homebrew Pro Shoppe in Olathe, 913-768-1090, If Jonathon can't get a shower, I am looking for someone to demo the brewing process at the Homebrew Pro Shoppe in Olathe, November 3, learn to home brew day!

Thanks,
James,
J & T Brews

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer

#4 Post by ryanmetcalf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:53 am

James!
I'd love to come out to the store and help put on a demo some time. Unfortunately Nov 3rd, I'll be in New Orleans, but I'll mention it to John I and Travis J and see if they'd be available/interested. I'll definitely be in on a future date!