DIY Glycol Chiller Projects

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Do you have a Glycol Chiller?

Yes, I acquired (freebie, traded, bought) a commercial glycol chiller
50%
Yes, but I made my own/some sort of DIY
No votes
Not yet!
50%
No, not needing it for my brewery
No votes

Total votes: 4

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer

DIY Glycol Chiller Projects

#1 Post by ryanmetcalf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Who has Glycol chillers? Who did a DIY one? Did you just put a glycol bucket in your keezer?

Just got sent this one from a non-brewing friend with a modified air conditioner and a cooler
https://ornatebrewingco.com/2020/01/12/ ... l-chiller/
Building my own DIY glycol chiller was easy as well as inexpensive, but the amount of information on the internet about how to build one is pretty lacking. I found a few build logs that other people had done, but I needed more info! After months of searching for more build logs, I finally decided to just jump in head first and see what came out the other end.

My way of building the chiller may not be the best way to do things, but it’s worked for me and other than a few small details, I don’t think I would do anything different.

First things first was finding a suitable window AC unit. It needed to be sufficiently powerful, but even more important was that it needed to be an analog unit. While digital units can be used, they’re MUCH more labor intensive and expensive to make work.
They just used a standard Inkbird controller to cycle the air conditioner to their desired Glycol reservoir temp