BeerAdvocate joins Untappd parent co Next Glass

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer

BeerAdvocate joins Untappd parent co Next Glass

#1 Post by ryanmetcalf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:31 am

Saw this this morning:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/ ... es.634871/
I'm excited to announce that BeerAdvocate and Untappd have joined forces under the Next Glass umbrella. BeerAdvocate will maintain its distinct brand identity, and continue as its own community, website, series of events, and beyond.

We've been struggling to keep the lights on for over two years, and we still face some challenges, but I'm confident that this is the best path for all of us. Next Glass is committed to not only helping BeerAdvocate, but passionate about protecting and cultivating our unique culture, identity, and community.
Together, under one banner, BeerAdvocate and Untappd will explore ways to collaborate, strengthen both communities, and provide unmatched resources for its users and the industry.
It's a bittersweet moment, but I'm excited for the future and look forward to working with my new coworkers in taking BeerAdvocate to the next level. And get ready, Brooklyn. Extreme Beer Fest cometh this September. More on that soon...

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer

Re: BeerAdvocate joins Untappd parent co Next Glass

#2 Post by ryanmetcalf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:32 am

and this article in Food & Wine has a little more, though there's also an FAQ in the above link
https://www.foodandwine.com/news/untapp ... r-advocate
For now, Next Glass promises that BeerAdvocate and Untappd will remain separate platforms. And BeerAdvocate founder Todd Alstrom framed the sale as a huge next step for the seminal beer site he humbly founded with his brother Jason—known on BeerAdvocate as “The Bros”—back in 1996. “BeerAdvocate is in our blood,” Todd told me via email. “I look forward to getting to work with my new coworkers and taking BeerAdvocate to the next level.”

Meanwhile, Next Glass President Trace Smith said he had nothing but respect for that history. “Being in the industry, we’ve obviously admired the brand and community Todd and Jason built from afar for some time now. We’d been tracking developments and felt it important that the brand and community had a home in which both would be treated with respect. When the opportunity presented itself, we jumped at it. As we’ve demonstrated in our work with Greg Avola to invest in and work to improve Untappd in a responsible manner, we feel we are that home.”