Smithsonian Magazine article on Charlie Papazian

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer

Smithsonian Magazine article on Charlie Papazian

#1 Post by ryanmetcalf » Sun May 31, 2020 11:52 pm

THE SCHOOLTEACHER WHO SPARKED AMERICA’S CRAFT BREW REVOLUTION
Here’s a toast to Charlie Papazian, the beer pioneer who blazed the way for thousands of brewers today

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cul ... 180974877/
Charlie Papazian, “the Johnny Appleseed of good beer,” as an old friend describes him, “or maybe the Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters and Joey Ramone of beer, overthrowing the status quo,” lives about six miles north of downtown Boulder, Colorado, at the end of a rutted dirt road, in a modest two-story home with views of the Rocky Mountains. He’d fallen in love with the place on sight. The isolated location, the light, the chortling brook in the backyard—perfect. Except for one thing. “You have to understand that I was used to brewing in basements,” he said when I visited him a few months ago. “And this house has no basement! So I had this vision. I’d convert the garage into a single-use facility, the ideal beer-brewing space.”

Papazian installed a glass-walled cooler, plus a custom-built, walk-in fridge with six-inch-thick foam-insulated walls he’d reclaimed from a defunct turkey farm. He left the original workbench and a few lockers and added several sets of shelves to stow the essentials: buckets of malted barley, rice, and yeast cultures, glass carboys for fermenting the beer, serpentine coils of tubing and strainers for trapping the errant grain, and a freezer full of hops.
[More in article]

johnpepin
Homebrewer

Re: Smithsonian Magazine article on Charlie Papazian

#2 Post by johnpepin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:57 pm

Ryan, Thanks for posting this article. It was a real pleasure to read. I got to tour the GABF one year in a small group with Charlie. He's a one of a kind guy. A rock star for the hobby. We're all better off because of his efforts to make Home Brew more widely brewed and shared.

Cheers
Pepin

Ace
Craft Brewer

Re: Smithsonian Magazine article on Charlie Papazian

#3 Post by Ace » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:13 am

I too really enjoyed the read, so many things I didn't know about our wonderful hobby. Thanks for posting Ryan.