French's Mustard Beer

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer

French's Mustard Beer

#1 Post by ryanmetcalf » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:09 am

I'm intrigued at how appropriately sized the addition is to only lend small bit of flavor, rather than overwhelm. Given the vinegar in mustard, I'd have never considered.
Developed in partnership with Oskar Blues Brewery, the beer is a “semi-tart tropical wheat beer infused with citrus fruits to complement French’s Classic Yellow Mustard,” according to the product description. The flavors include key lime, lemon, tangerine, and passion fruit, which go with the spice of the mustard. Each 12-ounce can has a 5.2 percent ABV. To brew the beer, 150 pounds of French’s Classic Yellow Mustard was used, according to a press release.

You can buy a six-pack of the mustard beer online through the national craft beer marketplace CraftShack starting on August 1. It’ll cost you about $20, which includes shipping. The beer will also be available at select Oskar Blues Brewery taprooms in Boulder and Longmont, CO, and Brevard, NC, while supplies last.

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer

Re: French's Mustard Beer

#2 Post by ryanmetcalf » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:54 pm

They posted a homebrew recipe!
https://www.oskarblues.com/wp-content/u ... Recipe.pdf
INGREDIENTS FOR 5 US GALLONS
MALT
  • 6 lb. 2° L pale two-row malt
  • 3.5 lb. 2.4° L white wheat malt
HOPS
  • 1oz Nugget, 13% a.a. @ 60min
  • .5g Yeast Nutrient @ 5min
OTHER INGREDIENTS
  • .24 Lemon Puree
  • .24 Passion Fruit Puree
  • .32 Key Lime Puree
  • .32 Tangerine Puree
  • 3oz/gal. French’s Mustard
WATER
  • Reverse osmosis with 1g/gal. calcium chloride
YEAST
  • White Labs WLP001 California ale yeast, 2L starter
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Original Gravity: 1.049 (12.3° P)
  • Final Gravity: 1.010 (2.5° P)
  • ABV: 5.2% by volume
  • IBU: 12
  • SRM: 2
DIRECTIONS
Mash grains at 153° F for 60 minutes. Mash out and sparge at 168° F (76° C). Boil 90 minutes, adding bittering hop 60 minutes before flameout. Add Yeast Nutrient 5 minutes before flameout, and whirlpool 5 minutes. Chill wort to 63° F and ferment for 7 days, allowing temperature to free rise to 67° F and ferment to completion. Drop
temperature to 55-59°for 2 days. Rack to secondary and add the Puree and French’s Yellow Mustard and swirl to mix but be careful not to oxygenate. Prime with 5 oz. (142 g) dextrose per 5 gallons (18.9 L) if bottling, or crash, keg, and force carbonate.

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer

Re: French's Mustard Beer

#3 Post by ryanmetcalf » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:23 am

I forgot about the Aug 1 date, and it sold out. If anyone picked up a 6 pack, I'd love to buy a can off of you. This is unique enough I'd like to try some, specially if I ever want to re-brew the homebrew variant, I'd like to know how the original was to benchmark.