Protein rest

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Piscator
Little Beer

Protein rest

#1 Post by Piscator » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Just a quick question for you big time all grain brewers. I am going to brew some lagers this winter with some Moravian pils grain that I picked up cheap from NB awhile ago. I've used this grain to make some lighter ales and weizen beers and have gotten pretty good results with single infusion mash, but for the lager/pilseners, do you think it is worth the extra effort to do a step mash?
Dave Godfrey

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#2 Post by Blktre » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:24 pm

I would think this malt is a well modified malt. Do you have any grain information of the grain, protien content, etc? Im betting you will be fine w/ a single infusion. Moravian can be malted by differnet maltsters and depending on the barley variety will determine if your Moravian is the Czech, it could be undermodified which would need a protein rest. If you do not have any malt info. id call NB and double check. But im guessing your malt will do fine w/o a step mash.
As a matter of fact, ive done single infusion using Franco-Belgian, BestMalz, and Wyermann Pilsner malts and have come out crystal clear......hope this helps some....
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Piscator
Little Beer

#3 Post by Piscator » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:35 am

Thanks Andy, that's just what I was asking. Honestly, I think I let Charlie Papazian creep back into my thoughts. It seems like he wanted to step mash everything that isn't a British ale (and even some of these).
Dave Godfrey

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#4 Post by Blktre » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:13 am

Theres still alot of old timers that had to step mash cuz the malt dictated them into doing so. Thats where the RIMS and HERMS style rigs came from so steps could be done alot easier. But w/ todays malts, single infusion works out great. I actually read something awhile back that said doing a protien rest on a modified malt can actually have a negative impact....but i cant vouch for that info.....
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

philip
Homebrewer

#5 Post by philip » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:32 am

Decoction!! Only way to go.......oh wait.....