Trip to Dublin...

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Matt
Uberbrewer

Trip to Dublin...

#1 Post by Matt » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:42 am

So IF everything goes to plan, I'll be spending part of May 2007 in Dublin.

Ultimately, I'm going to attend a wedding for a dear friend of mine. But if you think I'm going to fly 14+ hours to hit a wedding IN DUBLIN and then fly 14+ hours home, you're nuts. :)

So I'm planning on staying at least 2 weeks after the wedding and seeing as much of the glory of Ireland as possible. Admittedly, money is the key issue, so I'll probably be spending most of that time IN Dublin and not traveling too much this time around -- unless I can reasonably catch the DART (high-speed train) to some other cool shit (Galway, Belfast, et al).

That said, I'd like to open this thread for input on places/things/breweries/distilleries I should see/visit/drink while I'm there. :)

Yes, the obvious places are already on my list... but feel free to reinforce those decisions with stories of your own. I'll also be trying to hit some of the more "cultural" places, but I'd definitely love to hear from ANYONE who's been there and seen/done cool stuff they'd recommend to others.

Odds are, that during the wedding I'll be staying in a pretty expensive hotel. AS A RESULT, after the wedding, I'll be staying in cheap hostels -- so recommendations for good hotels/hostels are also especially welcome.

Hell, even if you've never been, but would like to see/do X while in Ireland, this is the thread for you to post on. I'd just HATE to get home and go 'DOH', because I didn't think to do something while I was there. :)

Thanks in advance for any input...
Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Piscator
Little Beer

#2 Post by Piscator » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:24 am

Good for you, Matt! My folks did a 2 week tour of the British Isles a few years ago and said Ireland was one of the best places they've ever visited (and they travel ALOT). The people are great and the beer was outstanding from what they said. It was a whirlwind bus tour though, so I can't help with the places/travel on a budget stuff. Whatever you end up doing, you should have a great time.
Dave Godfrey

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Bill
Brewmaster

#3 Post by Bill » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:14 am

Pictures... take plenty of pictures.

My wife and I plan on going to Ireland and Scotland to go to 'The Mother Land' and check out my family history. No wonder I was drawn to this batch of brewers. With a Scotch/Irish background, it was inevitable!

If you think about it and have the time, keep a small 'travel diary' so if others, or more specifically, me, go to Ireland, we, or more specifically, I, can use your notes to help us, or more specifically, me, on the journey. :D

Have a great time with it Matt!
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us