what is everyone mashing with?

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

what is everyone mashing with?

#1 Post by Bill » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:08 pm

What type of mash (infusion or direct), what kind of tun (cooler, SS kettle and what size/capacity) and what is your average temp loss or do you us a RIMS or HERMS.

I do an infusion mash using a 60qt IceCube cooler. I just added insulation to the cooler and used it for the first time last night, but due to the outside temperatures, I'm not going to think that last night was a good guide as to the normal performance of my tun. I lost 9* going from 155 to 146 in 60 minutes. Due to the ambient temp last night, I had to add 1 gallon of almost-boiling water to my already 3.38 gallons of water only 10~15 minutes into the mash to get it up to the desired 155 temp. I then mashed for 60 minutes after that point, which is where I lost the 9*.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Blktre
BrewLegend

#2 Post by Blktre » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:35 pm

Bill,
Another excellent question. I can only comment on my experience. And i sure would like to hear from others as well!
Im a HERMS/cooler MT guy. I use the HERMS for mashouts and to maintain single infusion mash temps only. I dont see a reason for stepmashing, but thats another discussion.
Anyways, i think matching the size of MT to your batch size is important to help maintian mash temps. The larger the mash, the more thermal mass it has which results in less temp. drop thruout the conversion time. So the opposite holds true as well. How then in my opinion does this relate to MT/batch size? If you have a MT thats big enuff to handle say 38-40# and you have 18# in there your thermal mass is low and a large headspace so to speak in which temp. drops can be expected. Outside temp can effect it as well, like in your case.
In this situation, i used spray foam in the lid and take my MT inside w/ a blanket over it. Never loses a single degree in a 90 min. mash. Summer time i just leave it be with no worries.
HERMS and RIMS guys are using recirculating mash systems to do the same thing. There is also different techniques in those setups as well. I think these systems are not needed to make good beer, it just gives the brewer another tool to use to make technique and control easier to obtain.
Just my long 2 cents worth.....cant wait to hear others experiences!!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Piscator
Little Beer

#3 Post by Piscator » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:25 am

I do single infusion mashes in a 36 qt Coleman Extreme rectangular cooler. Rarely lose more than a degree or two in 60 minutes regardless of ambient temps. Ditto what Andy said on thermal mass. My relatively small mash tun keeps dead space to a minimum - even on relatively low gravity brews. I also preheat the mash tun by adding water 5-10 degrees hotter than my mash in temp and adding the grains after the heat soaks into the cooler for a while. Sometimes have to open the lid to get the temp down to mash in levels in a reasonable amount of time.
No RIMS/HERMS. That's for the experts. (By the way, I read somewhere recently that losing a few degrees during the mash was actually better for the end product, but I can't remember why. If I recall, it was one of those "do I need to do RIMS/HERMS to get good beer" questions that generated a lot of response on the forum, so the validity may be in question.)
At any rate, don't worry, your beer should be alright. Enjoy!
Dave Godfrey

Don't worry, be hoppy.

supersloth
Homebrewer

#4 Post by supersloth » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:19 pm

I do single infusion mashes in a 48 qt Rubbermade cooler. In 60min. I loss 2 to 3 degress. Thats what I lost on MLK day and I think the outside temp was about 10. So I didnt worry about it. Not much to add after the last two posts. :roll:

Gordon
BEER!! It's what's for dinner!

Bill
Brewmaster

#5 Post by Bill » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:33 pm

I lost most of my heat in the begining due to having the lid open and adding the grains to the water. That is why I added the boiling water.
I didn't think about not mashing enough grains to kill the dead space, guess I'll have to start doing 10 gal batches!

When's the next keg order??? :D
I love some of the circular logic of brewing:
I need more space because I have more beer. I brew more beer because I have more space.
I need more kegs because I'm brewing bigger batches. I'm brewing bigger batches because I just got more kegs.

and btw... this wasn't just a post about my issues, I also want to hear others speak out on how they do their mash and what their mash setup consists of.
so please, keep on adding on people!!!
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Blktre
BrewLegend

#6 Post by Blktre » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Bill wrote:I lost most of my heat in the begining due to having the lid open and adding the grains to the water. That is why I added the boiling water.
I didn't think about not mashing enough grains to kill the dead space, guess I'll have to start doing 10 gal batches!
What helps me is to preheat the tun as was mentioned, then also, i add my strike water w/ the lid closed thru my upper manifold. I get 3/4 of my strike water into the cooler before i open the lid. Then quickly start doughing in. This traps heat, and the quick addition of grains adds to the thermal mass making heat loss slow(er) anyways....
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

jeffy

I've got the ugliest...

#7 Post by jeffy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:48 pm

mash tun. Beat up old Bud keg wrapped in pink-panther insulation with foil on one side and duct tape plastered in semi-neat rows on the other. I used bottle caps as buttons to keep it on. Pipe nipple standing at attention in an appropriate spot. Very classy:)

It was a "wandering the halls of Lowe's looking for whatever" design. Not the best and not pretty, but effective. Loses about a degree in the cold, even in the winter. All the stainless steel that is hot from the burner while heating the mash water helps. Like pre-heating a cooler.

Happy Brewing!

Jeff Gill