Dedicated Malt Smoker

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Blktre
BrewLegend

Dedicated Malt Smoker

#1 Post by Blktre » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:11 pm

Sweet, Jarrell built a cold smoke box for our dedicated malt smoker. This has been kind of touch and go learning as we went. Anyways, heres the final product. I smoked another 20# of grain using my screen trays from the other smoker. This box will hold 3 trays. This thing put out tons of smoke. Again, the smoke generator was around 220* but the box never went over 100*. Heres some pics, ill post more soon....

Overall view. The Al. pipe goes into cold smoke box from the bottom...

Grain trays and slots. Notice the smoke diverter on the bottom..

Closeup of trays and smoke diverter...

Smoke pipe. The smoke was really pushing. Pushing so hard the the AL pipe would rattle, rock and move around on its own, that was cool!!

This thing worked like a charm......Decided to use the electric element in this setup. I didnt have to worry about heat or loss of smoke generating capabilities because of the element. Load w/ Alderwood or wood of your choice, go take a nap and watch some NASCAR and BBall!!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Bill
Brewmaster

#2 Post by Bill » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:40 pm

looking sweet! I figured you guys would get a way to get that bullet smoker to work for you! do you rotate the grains from top to bottom or does it really matter since it fills up evenly w/ smoke?
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Blktre
BrewLegend

#3 Post by Blktre » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:03 pm

Bill wrote:looking sweet! I figured you guys would get a way to get that bullet smoker to work for you! do you rotate the grains from top to bottom or does it really matter since it fills up evenly w/ smoke?
Bill,
I spritz and stir in between wood additions. Then every other wood addition, rotate the trays.........The cool part is its a cold box, so when you open it in between smoke, your not losing anything!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#4 Post by cyburai » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:14 pm

I saw it setup this morning... next time I am going to have to taste the results.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

Snowman
Homebrewer

#5 Post by Snowman » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:48 pm

I think I'll have to finish the rest of the inside with more aluminium it just kinda looks half ass.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#6 Post by Blktre » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:54 pm

Snowman wrote:I think I'll have to finish the rest of the inside with more aluminium it just kinda looks half ass.
Then we could cold smoke meat, then wipe clean and not have that flavor food crap going into the malts.....we can call it a double bastard!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

Piscator
Little Beer

#7 Post by Piscator » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:07 pm

Looks to me like it will hold about two or three salmon. Just in time for fresh wild Alaska sockeye in a few months. Perfect...
Dave Godfrey

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Snowman
Homebrewer

#8 Post by Snowman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:04 am

Piscator wrote:Looks to me like it will hold about two or three salmon. Just in time for fresh wild Alaska sockeye in a few months. Perfect...
Hummm like as in May Fest? May not be a bad idea.