Yeast prop for Big Brew?

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Dale Wheeler
Craft Brewer

Yeast prop for Big Brew?

#1 Post by Dale Wheeler » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:01 am

I got to thinking this weekend after reading the recommended recipes (of course I read the belgian strong ale and dopplebock first...), there will be a lot of big yeast starters needed. What if someone volunteered to start propogating for these recipes (one volunteer per style) to yield several quarts or gallons of active starters in time for Big Brew? Either the club or the users can reimburse the cost. Cost per batch would go way down and pitching rates would go way up.
Feedback? Volunteers?
Dale Wheeler

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#2 Post by cyburai » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:24 am

I think it's a swell idea. Here are the recipes for those that haven't seen em...

http://beertown.org/events/bigbrew/recipes.html

I have a stir plate and a 2l flask available, but almost no experience in using them to prop yeast. And I know that I won't have much time over the next two months with BBQ season starting.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

shane
Craft Brewer

#3 Post by shane » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:59 pm

I think i might have this one covered , except the belg strong. We should talk @ the meeting.....cheers
Shane

fergmeister
Brewmaster

Props

#4 Post by fergmeister » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:26 pm

I can prop yeast if needed and coaxed. BTW I have a semi young imperial pils for the meeting. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Opportunity favors the prepared mind

Dale Wheeler
Craft Brewer

#5 Post by Dale Wheeler » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:09 am

Lets bring up at the meeting as a new business item. We'll try to get feedback on how many want to participate.
Dale Wheeler