unique counterflow chiller design?

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

unique counterflow chiller design?

#1 Post by Bill » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:07 pm

I found a site where a guy describes his counterflow chiller design that he made (or stole, whatever). He added .040 diameter copper wire along the length of the copper pipe to add turbulence to the water, which he states increases the heat transfer rate and chills his beer quicker.
Let me know what you all think of this design.

http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/Co ... iller.html
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Blktre
BrewLegend

#2 Post by Blktre » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:52 pm

He does have a point. To prove it, a immersion chiller needs to be moved occasionly during the cooling process so stratification around the coils doesnt happen. This keeps hot wert against the cooling coils at all times. On this design it the same theory, and a good one at that. I like this design way better than the convoluted cfc's as these are tons harder to keep clean which imo, has more places for the little bad guys to hide......effiecincy isnt everything when it comes to cfc's........nice link........thanks!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by cyburai » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:24 pm

I like his design, the wire to cause turbulence is a good concept.

Bill; interested in building one? I'm game.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

Blktre
BrewLegend

#4 Post by Blktre » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:02 pm

cyburai wrote:I like his design, the wire to cause turbulence is a good concept.

Ive built numerous cfc's. If you need help or a parts list, let me know........
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.

Bill
Brewmaster

#5 Post by Bill » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:41 pm

cyburai wrote:I like his design, the wire to cause turbulence is a good concept.

Heck yeah! Though I asked Jeff what he wanted for his counterflow he has in the Swapmeet section. Maybe we could use his existing copper.
How hard would it be to put already coiled copper into a garden hose? Or is that the usual process?
Thanks!

--Bill

Blktre
BrewLegend

#6 Post by Blktre » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:34 pm

While were on the subject of cfc's, i think before you get to excited there are a few very important things that need to be known. Cleaning and sanitizing is lots harder. Expecially the cleaning part. A flush of water to rinse the wert out is not anywhere near enuff. Here is my cleaning cycle "AFTER" every session.

Backflush w/ hot tap water immeidatly after the session. Backwards, opposite direction of the wert flow.

Load cfc by back flushing w/hot PBW or the cleaning mixture of oxyclean and tsp90 for a overnite soak. This works if you have no pump. But pumping the hot mixture backwards for 10-15 minutes is preferred, then 24 hr load soak.

After the 24hr. soak, backflush hot water thru until clean. Then drain, store dry. Some store wet w/ iodophor. I prefer storing dry.

You will be amazed of the buildup after a few sessions on the inside of these things. You gotta keep this stuff out or bacteria will grow.

Also, never leave a acid based sanitizer (starsan) in contact w/ soft alloys for more than 24 hrs. This includes your cfc. This is a pain in the butt. But the effeciency you gain w/a cfc outweighs this pain. Again, its up to you, but something to seriously think about..........again, ive built numerous cfc's so if you want help, just holler........
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

sundy58
Homebrewer

wire

#7 Post by sundy58 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:12 pm

I would think that shorter lengths of wire spaced along the copper tube would provide more turbulence than a continuous length. That would cause it to circulate then stop circulate the stop.
Say a foot of wire, none for two feet, a foot of wire etc.
The Mojo is not as good as the Yeti, yeti it is pretty good beer.

fergmeister
Brewmaster

#8 Post by fergmeister » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:23 pm

I'm in Andy I need a parts list.
Chuck

Bill
Brewmaster

#9 Post by Bill » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:37 pm

Actually, in response to Andy's "tons harder to keep clean" quote, the wort will be in the copper so it will never come into contact with the .04 'turbulance' wire, so I see no added sanitation issues with this method.
Maybe I'm not reading his sentence correctly.

Either way, I want a CFC (along w/ many other things) and would like to be in on actually making one of these things. Please let me know if/when this will come to be.

for that matter, I have never seen a CFC in action.
Thanks!

--Bill

Blktre
BrewLegend

#10 Post by Blktre » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:06 pm

Bill wrote:Actually, in response to Andy's "tons harder to keep clean" quote, the wort will be in the copper so it will never come into contact with the .04 'turbulance' wire, so I see no added sanitation issues with this method.
Maybe I'm not reading his sentence correctly.

Either way, I want a CFC (along w/ many other things) and would like to be in on actually making one of these things. Please let me know if/when this will come to be.

for that matter, I have never seen a CFC in action.
Im talking about the buildup inside the copper from the wert. This needs to be addressed as part of a cleaning cycle of some sort. When i clean, the chunks of dirty wert that comes loose is enuff to clog a strainer if you let it go to long. This is a bacteria generator. And since its on the cold side, your risk of an infection is increased. Anybody is welcome to come by, see it in action, and get a parts list anytime. If you want to see the chunks in my cleaning solution, you can see that too. I was just as amazed. Others may not see it this way, but at the volumes i brew, i need to worry about this.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

fergmeister
Brewmaster

CFC Chiller

#11 Post by fergmeister » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:37 pm

Built one last weekend. Took so long that the wort was cool already. I sweat soldered the wire in place at the ends to keep it in place while pushing it into the hose.
Opportunity favors the prepared mind

Bill
Brewmaster

#12 Post by Bill » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:43 pm

So you haven't tested it yet? We should do a side by side test some time and see if it really does chill faster w/ the wire attached.
Thanks!

--Bill