Finally got my stir plate wired...

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

Finally got my stir plate wired...

#1 Post by Bill » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:57 am

I got the idea from the green board from different posts, I finally got it working, I just need to put it in a box and add an on/off switch.

It's simply a 12 volt CPU fan, a magnet from a fried hard drive, a potentiometer (rheostat/dimmer/thingy that makes it spin slower) and a 5 volt power supply from an old Palm Pilot charger. The only thing I had to buy was the potentiometer, and it was around $4.

the magnet should probably be glued down but it is attracted to the fan magnet, so it stays in place just fine.
for the wiring, the positive off the power supply (black w/ white strip, but you can't see that in the pic) goes to the left post and the negative goes straight to the negative (black) wire on the fan. The positive from the fan goes to the middle post.

I bought 2 spinner bars.

A 1.5 inch hexagon with a ridge in the middle (mine's red)

and a cross/plus sign

The plus seems to do a better job than the round stir bar and is also much quieter. The round stir bar does a lot of vibrating but the plus is barely audible. I've only tried water so far, I need to see how 2 liters of starter will spin with it.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#2 Post by Jensen » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:42 am

Looks awesome Bill, I am anxious to hear how it works out! Pay attention to any heat build up that may occur. I bet with the fan it will be negligible. If it works out well you may have a side business. Something tells me with your line of work you have a few of those CPU fans lying around! Keep us posted!

philip
Homebrewer

#3 Post by philip » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:47 am

Where did you get the plus stir "bar"?

tjthresh
Homebrewer

#4 Post by tjthresh » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:33 am

Nice, Bill.
I may get mine done this weekend (fat chance).

Bill
Brewmaster

#5 Post by Bill » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:29 pm

philip wrote:Where did you get the plus stir "bar"?
http://vwrlabshop.com/stir-bars/c/1775/

quick shipping, was the best deal I could find at the time.
Thanks!

--Bill

Blktre
BrewLegend

#6 Post by Blktre » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:05 pm

Im happy w/ my PLUS pattern purchase too.....thanks again Bill for heading that up!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Bill
Brewmaster

#7 Post by Bill » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:56 pm

I got it all put together with a power switch and the speed control mounted on the top.

Here is a pic of the vortex with the plus spinner. The vortex is a bit strong, but I'm assuming that wort and yeast will be harder to move than water w/ some wadded up paper in it.

Here is a close up of the potentiometer. The lighter is just to show perspective. I just drilled a hole in the case and screwed it in. This is when I found out that the case shell was aluminum.

Here is the power switch along w/ my spectacular wiring job. I'm going to silicone the wires into that hole. I'll leave the rest for ventilation.

Front shot

I super glued that fan to the inside of the case and soldered all the wires together for stability. Should work like a charm!
Thanks!

--Bill

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#8 Post by Jensen » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:37 pm

I'll say it again, awesome!

I love this hobby.

Bill
Brewmaster

#9 Post by Bill » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:44 am

I forgot to say that I changed out the 5 volt power supply for a 9 volt. Once I got the 5 volt wried up and the case together the rotation of the fan even at full power was pretty low.
Thanks!

--Bill