Thanks, from Kim

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Blktre
BrewLegend

Thanks, from Kim

#1 Post by Blktre » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:27 am

Kim just got back from the 3day in Dallas. She wanted me to post a thanks to all who supported her at Jugs earlier this year and to tell about her experience........

In Kims words....

October 2007
Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Dear Friends and 3 Day Supporters,

My third Breast Cancer 3 Day and another incredible experience, this time as a member of the Dallas Crew. Thanks to each and every one of you for your wonderful support throughout this 3 Day journey.

As crew, the 3 Day turns into 4 Days with Thursday used as a training day. The entire crew gathered at South Fork Ranch in Dallas, Texas for an afternoon of instruction. It was really fun to see the set of the TV show Dallas ? the house is smaller in real life but still impressive. We learned how to set up ?western shelters? (large covered tents) and how to pack a ?pit can? as well as receive general information on what to expect for the next three days.

Day One got off to an early start as we had to be back at South Fork by 5:00am which meant leaving the home of our hostess at 3:15am! It was a quiet ride. Our crew of 9 was loaded in a van and headed out to Pit Stop One by 5:30am. I have to say: we had a fantastic crew. Nine strangers thrown together could have resulted in some interesting dynamics but in our case we could not have hand picked better teammates. Pit 1 was set up and ready for business by 8:00 and by 8:30 we were surrounded by 2400 very excited walkers. The pit stops provide hydration (water and sports drinks), a large spread of food (everything from bagels and fruit to pretzels and cheese) and a medical tent staffed with nurses and sports trainers. Once our pit stop closed, we dismantled the entire set up, ate our lunch and moved on to assist with the lunch pit stop. By the time our team arrived back at camp we were a group of weary, but fulfilled, Pit One crewmembers. Shower and dinner was very appreciated and bedtime came early ? partly to hunker down in a sleeping bag to escape the cold as the temperature dipped to 38 degrees that night.

Day Two was another early start and basically a repeat of Day One. Our Pit Stop was set in beautiful Addison Park and as we set up we were treated to a spectacular sun rise over the trees. This day the walkers are more spread out so the pit stop was steadily busy but not overwhelming. Day two is all about encouraging and supporting the walkers as they face the very long second day; another 20 miles and another night in camp. We saw several walking wounded and gave lots of hugs and high fives. Again our crew assisted with the lunch pit stop and then headed back to camp to cheer in the weary walkers who had by now walked 40 miles.

Day Three always arrives with an air of excitement. The end is in sight for everyone; walkers and crew. And the anticipation of sleeping in a real bed Sunday night is motivation in and of itself. By this time our crew had the set up and tear down of the pit stop down to a fine science. Again, I was very impressed with the team work from everyone on Pit Stop One. Day Three is the most heart warming of the event; the determination and fortitude of the walkers is incredible. It is pure grit and the true belief that drives the walkers at this point.

After our Pit Stop was complete we ate lunch together for the last time as a team. During this time we also shared our stories of why we were involved with the 3 Day. One of our team members is a 13 year survivor and several of us have friends and family who have been affected by breast cancer. Following lunch we headed to a spot near the end of the route to encourage the walkers to the finish line and the closing ceremony at the SMU campus.

3 Days, 2400 Walkers, 6.5 million dollars raised to help in the fight for a cure for breast cancer, educate women and men about breast cancer and help defray costs for screening and treatment. In the 1970s, a woman diagnosed with breast cancer had roughly a 50-50 chance of surviving. Today, thanks to advancements in research and educational efforts, her chance stands at approximately 80-85%. Since 1990 the mortality rates have declined 2.3 percent a year. The research and treatment is working and that, my friends, is why we raise the money.

Being involved in the Breast Cancer 3 Day over the past three years has been an incredible gift and just like the advertising says: it is a life changing experience. I will continue to walk and participate in the Breast Cancer 3 Day because it is the greatest distance I can go in the fight against breast cancer.

As I write this I am making plans with my Kansas City teammates to begin training to walk the Twin Cities 3 Day in September 2008.

Thank you again,

Kim Booth
2005 Kansas City Walker
2006 Kansas City Walker
2007 Dallas Crew
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Snowman
Homebrewer

#2 Post by Snowman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:52 pm

WOW 7 days and I'm the first to reply...Maybe the post was ment to just be read :D

I really appreciate the effort she and others are making in this fight. I for one look forward to helping her in anyway I can for the 08 walk!!

Good Job Kim!