up north brew

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

sundy58
Homebrewer

up north brew

#1 Post by sundy58 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:29 am

It looks like I will be spending May in Greenland. I'm looking at ways to bring a recipe and brew it on site. Weight and volume are concerns so probably DME but I am open to a concentrated all grain liquor. It will be an ale so I can drink some before leaving!
My biggest concern is carbonation. Pet bottles are light but still a large volume. How can I store the beer and keep carbonation on it? Maybe Party Pigs?
A carboy is a problem too. Anybody ever use a plastic bag for a carboy. I guess a plastic bucket will be OK.
Jump in and lets have fun figuring this out.
The place is Flade Isblink and is at almost 80 degrees north, east coast of Greenland
The Mojo is not as good as the Yeti, yeti it is pretty good beer.

BJ1833
Little Beer

#2 Post by BJ1833 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:17 pm

I assume you'll have a stovetop to boil on? Are there places to buy ingredients up there or will you have to bring them with you? Either way, a simple extract, partial boil should be fairly easy to pull off. I've used a small 1 gallon plastic-bag primary that came with an old wine kit before, but I bet you could find a plastic bucket somewhere up there.

sundy58
Homebrewer

brewing

#3 Post by sundy58 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:15 pm

Sorry I didn't specify. We are going to be dropped off on the ice sheet and be a long way from anything. I'm really looking for a way to 'bottle' the beer since I am very limited as to the volume of stuff I can take.

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

world record brew?

#4 Post by Joe Yoder » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:52 pm

Hey Dennis,
That is very cool that you are going to Greenland and that you plan to brew. We should contact the AHA and see if you will be making the furthest north homebrew EVER!! We could get your name and the LBG in the record books
What is the longitude of the place where you will be? If you need any help with this please let me know...Naming the beer could be half the fun...
see you soon.
Joe

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

latitude/longitude

#5 Post by Joe Yoder » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:54 pm

doh...I meant latitude not longitude.
Joe

sundy58
Homebrewer

latitude dude

#6 Post by sundy58 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:23 am

I'm gonna be at 81.2926 degrees north. Yeah if you want to contact the AHA that would be great.