BYO Stirplate

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

meisel
Craft Brewer

BYO Stirplate

#1 Post by meisel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Just finished my homemade stirplate and I'm happy with the results. I visited several brewboard threads and worked out a wiring scheme that worked best for my needs. The concept is the same as Bill's: it's a case fan from an old pc with a powerful magnet salvaged from a SCSI hdd attached to it, then mounted in an old russian electronix box. I used a simple spst automotive switch to turn the thing on and off and a pot to adjust the speed.

I chose to use the LM317t variable voltage regulator with homemade heatsink as a safety precaution for prolonged use. You can see the heatsink is just a bent up 9v battery clip that couples with the IC and provides surface area for heat dissipation.

Overall I'd say it was a great afternoon job for the DIYer. The whole thing cost me about $14 because I had plenty of parts laying around including a 12v DC adapter. It could be done cheaper if you choose to skip the LM317t but it's only a couple bucks and it'll help you sleep at night when you're stepping up those bombs.

l_townbrewer
Little Beer

#2 Post by l_townbrewer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:06 am

yeah for yeastie bombs!!! :blob6:

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Jensen » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:25 am

Looks awesome!!! You are getting a great vortex. Is there one or two pieces of magnet on the fan? Hopefully you can bring it to the next meeting for a look-see. Your starters have now taken a quantum leap!

fergmeister
Brewmaster

Stir Plate

#4 Post by fergmeister » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:31 pm

Good going Lee. Show and tell at the next meeting?
Chuck
Opportunity favors the prepared mind