hop rhizomes

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Pissytiffy
Homebrewer

hop rhizomes

#1 Post by Pissytiffy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:44 am

We ordered some hop rhizomes this weekend and are looking for advice on hop trellis systems. How tall do hops grow here? Anyone have a good trellis they would recommend? Or advice on what not to do?

mcole
Homebrewer

#2 Post by mcole » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:06 am

I made trellis that goes from the ground to the top of the rail on our deck apprx 15-16 ft. They grow all the way up and then intertwine around the spindles on the deck. So I would say they are getting 16-20 ft high. The first year I used fishing line and found it was not strong enough to hold them when they really get to growing. I have gone to a thin wire. I made 8 lines down and then wove the wire for 8 cross bars. Has worked well last two years. Only thing I am changing is to put more cross bars in, closer together, closer to the ground. If you don't get them on the trellis quick they tend to be stubborn about wanting to go around it later. Of my six varietys, I find magnum, cascade and columbus do the best. My williamette and chinook not as good.

Let me know if I can be any more help.

Melissa
"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
-Kaiser Welhelm

"May the roof above us never fall in, and may we friends gathered below never fall out."
-Old Irish Blessing

Matt
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Matt » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:29 am

If you haven't already seen it, this thread on the Green Board seems very timely: http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=89185

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Pissytiffy
Homebrewer

#4 Post by Pissytiffy » Thu May 15, 2008 4:59 pm

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. The hop trellis is up and more importantly now 3 of 4 rhizomes we planted are up!!!