Iodophor information

Reviews on equipment, chemicals, kits, etc.

Moderator: Officers

Greenblood
Brewmaster

Iodophor information

#1 Post by Greenblood » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:21 pm

The following link is to an article that documents information gathered from an interview with Dr. L. Charles Landman Sr., general Manager of National Chemicals Inc., manufacture of Iodophor "BTF" as well as an experiment with Iodophor "BTF" to find out at what levels the taste is detectable.

http://kotmf.com/articles/iodophor.php
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#2 Post by Jensen » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:25 pm

Interesting article. I have always been a rinser with pre-boiled water with all my fermenters, and suppose I will continue because of the "if it ain't broke theory." I swear I can taste iodophor in people's beers who are not rinsers, from time to time-- maybe they need to make sure their ppm levels are correct...

Blktre
BrewLegend

#3 Post by Blktre » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:32 am

Jensen wrote:Interesting article. I have always been a rinser with pre-boiled water with all my fermenters, and suppose I will continue because of the "if it ain't broke theory." I swear I can taste iodophor in people's beers who are not rinsers, from time to time-- maybe they need to make sure their ppm levels are correct...
This is why i push Starsan. Its a acid based food grade sanitizer, cheap, can be stored for multiple uses, and its a no rinse. Something about rinsing makes me nervous. Glad it works for you tho....
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

JeffBryant

Re:

#4 Post by JeffBryant » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Blktre wrote:
Jensen wrote:Interesting article. I have always been a rinser with pre-boiled water with all my fermenters, and suppose I will continue because of the "if it ain't broke theory." I swear I can taste iodophor in people's beers who are not rinsers, from time to time-- maybe they need to make sure their ppm levels are correct...
This is why i push Starsan. Its a acid based food grade sanitizer, cheap, can be stored for multiple uses, and its a no rinse. Something about rinsing makes me nervous. Glad it works for you tho....
I have heard a lot of people talk about storing Starsan, which I do as well. I have never found out how long this is "safe" to do. When does Starsan lose it's potency?
"What is with these people who ask me what my favorite type of beer is!!?? All of them, duh!"
Ferm 1: Surly Bender Clone
Ferm 2: Empty :(
Ferm 3: Empty :(
On Deck: Heady Topper Clone (Mmmmm... Hops...)
In the Hole:

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Re:

#5 Post by Frank » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:11 am

JeffBryant wrote:When does Starsan lose it's potency?
There are a few factors in how long Star San is still effective.

First is what kind of water was used to mix it up? Tap water will make the shortest storage as the dissolved solids will break down (calcium and lime) and raise the PH above 3. Distilled water will create the clearest StarSan solution that lasts the longest.

Where and how was it sorted? Open or closed container? Hot, Cold, large fluctuation? All these will change it's self life.

Knowing the answers to any of these questions is COMPLETELY unnecessary. The only thing you have to know is, "What's the PH of the solution?" Next time you get brewing supplies spend the $6 and get some Winemaking PH Paper. Every month or so check the PH it should be around 3. If it's not add some StarSan concentrate until it comes down to 3, it's pretty easy stuff.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

Re: Iodophor information

#6 Post by Pentaquark » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:11 pm

That's actually really helpful, Frank. I always worry about my solution of starsan when it starts to cloud but I suppose I should just check the pH to make sure. Thanks!
-Allen