Events involving Brewing or Tasting.

Moderator: Officers

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer
Homebrewer

LPL How-To Festival 2019

#1 Post by ryanmetcalf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:22 am

Lawrence Public Library e-mailed us asking about participation in their 2019 How-To Festival, this would be a great event for us to get some more public exposure & recruiting. Unfortunately I will be out of town
The Lawrence Public Library is currently in the planning stages for a How-To Festival for this summer, scheduled for June 15th from 11am-1pm.

The purpose of the How-To Festival is to provide a showcase for the diverse talents, skills, and knowledge of the people of Lawrence, as well as to provide a learning opportunity for visitors. We are interested in being able to provide How-To demonstrations on a broad range of topics, and I wondered if you might be interested in giving a presentation on "How to start homebrewing," or some other topic you think might be of interest?

We are currently accepting applications for presenters (here is the link to the application); the deadline to apply is April 29th. I hope you will consider participating in this event, and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

This year, instead of scheduled presentations, each participant will be given a space to set up a demonstration or to display information in our auditorium, atrium, or lawn.
  • Do we have interest in participating? I would like to think yes!
  • What would we like to present at our booth? Maybe talk about the brewing process, Guild events, meetings, and show some various malts, hops, and such. What do you think?
  • Volunteers? We're not going to saddle this all on one person, so don't hesitate to volunteer, while I may be out of town, I'd love to help all plan our event!
  • Tie in w/Cottin’s brew day? Linda's asked about us coming out for a day this Spring/Summer ahead of the AHA Nov event. Could steer folk to the ongoing brew day at Cottin's if they want to see the longer event pan out

bucketchemistry
Homebrewer

Re: LPL How-To Festival 2019

#2 Post by bucketchemistry » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:09 am

I’m definitely interested in this, and would be happy to take lead organizing if you don’t already have someone. I have several ideas what materials to bring. Looking over over the online form it seems fairly straightforward; if needed I can go ahead and submit it for us.

-Jake

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer
Homebrewer

#3 Post by ryanmetcalf » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:26 am

Jake,
If you want to be our point guy for this, go ahead and get us signed up, that way we don't miss that April 29th deadline. Love to hear what ideas you've got cooking! Anyone else reading this, we'd love to have you all out participating together on June 15th. 8)

bucketchemistry
Homebrewer

#4 Post by bucketchemistry » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:14 pm

Below are my initial thoughts. What else should we have?

Info to have on hand;

Hand out with how to brew basics, local home brew shops and resources, including how to join the Guild. Something that fits on one page would be ideal.

A few examples of how to brew books, preferably some available at the library. I’ll check what they have.

Equipment to have on hand;

Examples of all common ingredients.

A basic kit, including a stovetop sized kettle and brew bucket.

A couple more advanced examples of equipment? I think this could go a long way drawing interest, and I wouldn’t mind lugging around one of my stainless conicals to assist with this.

Can we reach out to local shops to get involved? A possible suggestion: coupons for basic brewing kits, even if it’s only 10% off.

-Jake

jwkeffer
Officer
Officer
Homebrewer

#5 Post by jwkeffer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 am

Just another idea...

When we did the "learn to brew" at Ernst & Son, we had some "malt tea" brewed up to sample. In addition to samples of different kinds of malted barley, we had tea from those samples for tasting. It went over pretty well.
-----------------------
Jon Keffer
Buckaroo Brewery
A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person. -- Dave Berry
-----------------------
Next Brew: Angelo's Rip Tide Pale Ale
Primary: More cider
Primary:
Secondary/Bright tank:

bucketchemistry
Homebrewer

#6 Post by bucketchemistry » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:21 am

That sounds like a great idea, I’d like to hear more about how these were made...

jwkeffer
Officer
Officer
Homebrewer

#7 Post by jwkeffer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:03 am

I'd bring them myself except I'm supposed to be at my nieces' wedding that day...

All I did was put an ounce of grain in a mortar and bust it up a little bit to expose the kernels. Pop them in a tea strainer and put a pint of boiling water on 'em for ten minutes. remove the tea strainer, and you're ready to go.
-----------------------
Jon Keffer
Buckaroo Brewery
A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person. -- Dave Berry
-----------------------
Primary:
Secondary/Bright tank:

timsegraves

#8 Post by timsegraves » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:50 am

I'm happy to come out and work the booth as well. I have a Keggle system I built I could bring if we have room. I presented on how to make kombucha last year at the festival.

timsegraves

#9 Post by timsegraves » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:38 am

timsegraves wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:50 am
I'm happy to come out and work the booth as well. I have a Keggle system I built I could bring if we have room. I presented on how to make kombucha last year at the festival.
Scratch that. Was just informed by the Mrs. that we'll be out of town that weekend. Happy to help with any setup/prep beforehand though.

bucketchemistry
Homebrewer

#10 Post by bucketchemistry » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:23 am

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the offer.

Our application is in and we should officially know if we’re selected in two weeks. I’ll post here when I get word.

-JJ

bucketchemistry
Homebrewer

#11 Post by bucketchemistry » Thu May 16, 2019 10:26 am

It’s official, we’re in. I just sent our confirmation and hope to have more details soon. Please let me know if anyone is interested in helping out, we could really use a couple more volunteers.

Confirmation email:

You have been selected to participate in the Lawrence Public Library How-to Festival on Saturday, June 15th! I'll be following up with more details about your booth/location assignment shortly.

In order to confirm your participation please respond to this e-mail and let us know you will be attending by Friday, May 24th. Just a reminder that the festival will run from 11am-1pm, and we are expecting participants to stay for the duration of the event.

Also, please invite your friends and family to come to the event! If you use Facebook you can share and invite people to the event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/416423012474784/

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best,
Melissa

jwkeffer
Officer
Officer
Homebrewer

#12 Post by jwkeffer » Fri May 17, 2019 9:52 am

Well... looks like I'm in. (Got the invite to the nieces wedding last week, and they changed the date to the 16th, so I'm back in.)
-----------------------
Jon Keffer
Buckaroo Brewery
-----------------------
Primary:
Secondary/Bright tank:

bucketchemistry
Homebrewer

#13 Post by bucketchemistry » Tue May 21, 2019 9:02 am

Great! Glad to have the help.

-Jake