Events involving Brewing or Tasting.

Moderator: Officers

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer
Craft Brewer

Church Update, Outdoor Meetings, etc

#1 Post by ryanmetcalf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:55 am

Been asked 2 Q's a few times now, figure I'll post this as an update/FAQ for all
  1. When is the church reopening?
  2. What about outdoor meetings?

When is the church reopening?

We don't have a hard answer for this at this time, but the most recent discussion Jake has had with the Church indicates that the soonest their facilities reopen is October. We're adjusting our rent and contract with them as necessary to reflect the changing situation, they've been great to work with/accommodate as best as they can. Jake goes in depth during our last Virtual Meeting, viewing options are in this thread, I recommend YouTube: June Meeting - Virtual

What about outdoor meetings?

It is a possibility, but not one we've strongly been considering at the moment. We've had a lot of fun and success with our virtual meetings, even incorporating new tech elements such as quiz games. If someone has additional information about our options, feel free to reply/post!

Not an option (but been mentioned)
  • Church Parking Lot - With the building closed through at least October, no access to bathrooms/other facilities
  • Lawrence Creates Makerspace - No outside guests at this time, so unfortunately that'd mean no bathroom access, even if we were outside
Possible options mentioned by others

For now, we'll see you at our Virtual July Meeting, Cheers!

toolman
Homebrewer

Re: Church Update, Outdoor Meetings, etc

#2 Post by toolman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 am

if we are considering an outdoor event, please consider a homebrewers swap meet.
thanks
orval

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer
Craft Brewer

#3 Post by ryanmetcalf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 am

Definitely something we can consider if we end up in a members yard, I bet people have some equipment collecting dust that needs freed!

On city property, the Special Permit process asks about collecting fees for entry, don't know if allowing on-site sales, but free access to meeting makes approving our (potential) permit any more precarious. If someone has done a special event permit with alcohol, or has a friend in the City/Parks & Rec department, I'd love to hear some insight!

If we end up at the state park, we'd need to have a Special Permit to conduct sales during our event
A special event permit is required for any event involving entrance fees, exclusive use of an area, sales, organized competition, amplified sound, use of temporary structures (does not include common camping gear or blinds), or reservation of a specific site or facility. Check with the park office for details.

johnpepin
Homebrewer

#4 Post by johnpepin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:10 pm

I heard from a member at the UU this weekend that they were not looking to hold services in the building until sometime next spring. I didn't ask about how that might effect our meetings, but we should be looking at options.

ryanmetcalf
Officer
Officer
Craft Brewer

#5 Post by ryanmetcalf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Oh wow John, that's even longer than Graham had told Jake a couple weeks ago! Definitely something to think about if we do ever vacate the digital/virtual format